Our Mission | Net Zero by 2050
The mission of Sustainable Westport is to become a Net Zero community by the year 2050, where the community has reduced its impacts across energy, water and waste so that they are sustainably managed, using approaches that are economically viable, of social benefit, and environmentally responsible.
The Sustainable Westport Advisory team advises the First Selectman, town commissions, and departments on determining and setting environmental policy and decisions for the purpose of transforming Westport into a sustainable green community. Sustainable Westport will educate, encourage and assist Westport residents, businesses, and the town to adopt sustainable practices consistent with this purpose.
There are five pillars to our net zero goal:
1. Aware and engaged community
2. Efficient, comfortable, well-run buildings and physical infrastructure
3. Reliable, resilient, renewable energy
4. Clean and convenient choices for transportation
5. Responsible stewards of natural resources and waste management
What does this mean?
- We will live within our means and create a sustainable community where younger generations will choose to raise their families
- Across all key resources (energy, water and waste), we will be meet the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs
- We will reduce our energy consumption and produce clean energy so that the natural world can absorb the effects of the remaining amounts of energy that are produced by fossil fuels
- We will protect the quality and quantity of fresh water to sustain our community
- We will reduce our waste to the minimum, reuse what we can, and recycle the rest